- Beren is visited by Sauron and told that he is left to starve. Finrod’s body is displayed before the gates.
- Luthien is brought to Nargothrond. Orodreth enquires about her but is lied to by Celegorm.
- Luthien is locked away and Celegorm reveals his true intentions.
- Betraying his master, Huan speaks to Luthien. Feeling pity for her, he helps her escape.
- Huan follows Luthien and promises to take her to Minas Tirith.
- Thingol discovers Luthien missing and is told of the letter from Celegorm. He sends riders out to find her.
- Huan brings Luthien to Minas Tirith. Guarded fiercely by wolves and orcs, Huan manages to slay every one of them and gains entry to the tower.
- Luthien sing for Beren. Beren hears her and calls back, believing himself delirious.
- Sauron also hears Luthien singing and wishes to capture her for Morgoth. He sends many wolves to kill Huan, but he kills them with ease.
- Sauron sends Drauglin to kill Huan, but Drauglin too is defeated. Finally, Sauron transforms into a wolf himself to fight Huan. Huan dodges his attacks, but Sauron lunges at Luthien. She whips him with her enchanted cloak, disorienting him.
- Huan fights Sauron, who shapeshifts many times. Eventually he wins and Luthien gives Sauron a choice, surrender Minas Tirith or be killed and sent back to Morgoth as a wraith. Sauron flees
- Luthien frees the prisoners and finds Beren. They bury Finrod on his isle and leave to walk in the woods again. Huan returns to Celegorm.
- Beren skins Drauglin and Thuringwethil and takes their hides.
- Thingol’s riders reach Nargothrond. When Orodreth hears their words, he exiles Celegorm and Curufin.
Deaths – Draugluin, Thuringwethil
Adapted from chapters ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ from The Silmarillion and ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from The Lays of Beleriand.
- Huan and Luthien Escape Nargothrond – Ted Nasmith
- Luthien Tinuviel and Huan Journey to Angband – Neerachar Sophol
- Huan Subdues Sauron – Ted Nasmith
- Word reaches Maedhros from Fingon. Maglor arrives back with Caranthir and Angrod, telling Maedhros that Azaghal is on their side.
- The Eagles carry Beren, Luthien and Huan to Menegroth.
- Thingol has his healers see to them immediately. He confronts Beren, who says he holds a Silmaril in his hand. Thingol only sees his stump. However, after hearing their story Thingol holds Beren above mortal men, and gives him permission to marry Luthien.
- Mablung and Beleg report back to Thingol about Carcharoth ravaging lands near the borders of Doriath.
- Beren and Luthien are married that day.
- Soon after, Thingol gathers a hunting party to kill Carcharoth. Beren, Beleg, Mablung, Huan and several others go along.
- In the forest Beren is assaulted by Carcharoth, tearing him open. Huan leaps onto him and is mortally wounded himself, but manages to kill Carcharoth. He lays down beside Beren and dies.
- Mablung cuts open the belly of Carcharoth and finds the Silmaril, Beren’s hand still holding it. He gives it to Beren, who in turn hands it over to Thingol as his bride price.
- Beren is taken back to Menegroth, where he dies in Luthien’s arms. When Thingol sends elves in to take Beren’s body away, they find Luthien dead as well.
- Hurin gives his son Turin a knife as a gift. Turin in turn gives it to his friend Sador, who needs it for woodworking.
- Hurin is called away to Hithlum by Fingon. He gathers Huor and his army and says farewell to his family.
- Maedhros comes to Hithlum with his brothers, Azaghal of the dwarves and Ulfang of the Easterlings . They find Celegorm and Curufin already there.
- Maedhros and Fingon talk about the deeds of Beren and Luthien. Maedhros sets out a battle plan to eventually besiege and destroy Angband. There Maedhros forms the Union of Maedhros.
- Maeglin brings word of the Union to Turgon, who agrees to join his brother in battle. For the first time, Turgon leads his elves out from Gondolin.
First Appearances – Lalaith, Turin, Sador
Deaths – Beren, Luthien, Huan, Carcharoth
Adapted from chapters ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ and ‘Of the Fifth Battle’ from the Silmarillion, ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from the Lays of Beleriand, ‘Narn i Hin Hurin’ from Unfinished Tales and ‘The Childhood of Turin’ from The Children of Hurin
- The Quest Fulfilled – Anke Eissman
- Beren and Luthien – Lleayhe
- Huan’s Leap – Ted Nasmith
- The Death – Tuuliky
- Union of Maedhros – Eilian
- Gothmog cuts through the elves, separating Turgon and Fingon.
- Glaurung attacks Maedhros, who is ambushed by the traitorous Easterlings. Maedhros orders a retreat.
- Azaghal and the dwarves form the rearguard, protecting the elves from Glaurung. Glaurung attacks Azaghal, but is then attacked by all sides by the dwarves. Azaghal is crushed, but manages to stab Glaurung. The dragon retreats back to Angband.
- The dwarves carry their King back to Belegost.
- Gothmog duels Fingon, who matches him blow for blow. Fingon however is caught in the whip of another balrog and killed by Gothmog. The balrogs then hew and pound his body into the dust.
- Hurin covers Turgon’s retreat to Gondolin. Now surrounded, all his men fight to the death. Huor is killed by an arrow to the eye. Come upon by a host of orcs and trolls, Hurin slays them all and is buried under their corpses.
- Turgon’s army reaches Gondolin. He orders the gates locked and sealed forever.
- Luthien and Beren return to Doriath, lifting the winter of Thingol. Thingol is amazed, and grants the two his blessing to do whatever they wish with their lives.
- Melian sees the mortality in Luthien’s eyes and cannot bear to witness her daughter’s death.
- Beren and Luthien say goodbye to the people of Doriath and leave to live in Ossiriand, away from war.
- The sons of Feanor pass Himring, now overrun with orcs. Maedhros declares it lost and the brothers pass into the south.
- The few remaining soldiers of Fingon return to Hithlum with the blood-drenched banner of Fingon. They warn the residents that Easterlings are on their way. They abandon Hithlum.
- Hurin is taken to Angband in chains. Gwindor is also imprisoned.
- Morgoth betrays the Easterlings and confines them to Hithlum, instead of giving them reign over Beleriand as promised.
- Finrod walks through Valinor with his father, Finarfin. He is overcome with joy at being reunited with Amarie, his beloved.
- Beren and Luthien settle in Ossiriand, in a small house away from the rest of civilisation. There they have a son, Dior.
First Appearance – Dior
Deaths – Fingon, Huor, Azaghal, Ulfang
Adapted from ‘Of Beren and Luthien’ and ‘Of the Fifth Battle’ from The Silmarillion, ‘The Lay of Leithian’ from The Lays of Beleriand, ‘The Battle of Unnumbered Tears’ and ‘The Words of Hurin and Morgoth’ from The Children of Hurin, ‘Narn I Hin Hurin’ from Unfinished Tales and ‘The Grey Annals’ from The War of the Jewels.
- Battle of Unnumbered Tears – ?
- Glaurung Fighting with Dwarves – Justin Gerard
- Nirnaeth Arnoediad – Unnumbered Tears – Jenny Dolfen
- Hurin – Fragoulis
- Finrod and Amarie II – Hemhet
Season 2 covers the Long Peace and the breaking of the Siege of Angband, from the beginning of the First Age to Year 456. There are a few time skips of several hundred years. This season sees the Dagor Aglareb, construction of Gondolin and Nargothrond, the coming of Men and the Dagor Bragollach.
Prologue – Eregion
- Elrond and his sons meet with Maglor again. This time he is in Eregion, Celebrimbor’s old kingdom. Maglor is convinced to tell Elrond’s sons about how Beleriand was overtaken by Morgoth.
- Maedhros hangs from Thangorodrim. Morgoth and Sauron both taunt and torment him. He refuses to give up secrets about the Noldor.
- Both Maedhros and Sauron see Thorondor from afar.
- Fingolfin begins building his kingdom, Hithlum.
- Believing Maedhros dead, Maglor and the Sons of Feanor prepare to leave Mithrim and go east.
- Fingolfin gives Fingon a domain in the west, Dor-lomin.
- Turgon struggles to get over his wife’s death, becoming protective of Idril. He blames Feanor and his sons for Elenwe’s death.
- Thorondor arrives to inform Feanor’s sons of Maedhros’ imprisonment.
- Thingol welcomes Noldor ambassadors in his land, but refuses to give up land of Beleriand to them.
- Thingol’s daughter, Luthien, is curious about the Noldor. Thingol refuses to let her leave Doriath.
First Appearances – Luthien, Nimloth
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Return of the Noldor’ and ‘Of Beleriand and its Realms’ from The Silmarillion.
- Lake Mithrim – J.R.R. Tolkien
- Maedhros Upon Thangorodrim – Jenny Dolfen
- Prayer of Fingon – Tuuliky
- None of Feanor’s sons are prepared to rescue Maedhros from Thangorodrim. Out of love for his friend, Fingon volunteers to go instead.
- Thorondor flies Fingon to Angband, where they find Maedhros chained. Fingon has to climb the steep precipice to get to him. Unable to undo the chain, Fingon is forced to cut off Maedhros’ hand.
- Thorondor flies them back to Mithrim. Maedhros reunites with his brothers. In gratitude and repentance for the burning of the ships, Maedhros relinquishes claim as the heir of Finwe and appoints Fingolfin High King of the Noldor.
- Caranthir and Feanor’s sons disagree with what Maedhros has done.
- Finrod travels to Doriath, to speak with Thingol personally. There he sees his sister, Galadriel, again.
- Fingolfin calls all the elves to reunite in one cause.
- Finrod and Thingol speak at length. Thingol gives permission for the Noldor to occupy the northern lands. They travel to the Feast of Reuniting together.
Pools of Irvin
- The Feast of Reuniting is held. Ambassadors from all lands arrive
First Appearances – Ecthelion, Annael
Adapted from ‘Of the Return of the Noldor’ and ‘Of Beleriand and Its Realms’ from The Silmarillion and ‘The History of Galadriel and Celeborn’ from Unfinished Tales
- Maedhros’s Rescue from Thangorodrim – Ted Nasmith
- Rescue of Maedhros from Thangorodrim – Catherine Karina Chmiel
- Finrod and Galadriel – ?
- Feast of Reuniting – Murrauddin
- Finrod and Turgon leave to journey along Sirion
- They are both sent dreams by Ulmo of hidden sanctuaries. Tumladen and High Faroth.
- When they return to Vinyamar, Turgon goes to find Tumladen.
- Unable to find the place in his dreams, Turgon is visited directly by Ulmo, who guides him to Tumladen.
- Turgon returns to Vinyamar as he sees orcs passing through the Pass of Sirion
- Maedhros and his brothers hunt down the orcs that have penetrated Maglor’s Gap.
- Fingolfin prepares his army for war. He sends Finrod to Doriath once more to enlist the help of Thingol.
- Melian befriends Galadriel. Galadriel tells of the tale of the Noldor, but leaves out the Kinslaying.
- Thingol hears rumours of Valinor. He asks Angrod about the events that led the Noldor to Middle-Earth. He learns of the Silmarils and of the Kinslaying at Aqualonde. Horrified, he bans Quenya in Beleriand and forbids any of the House of Feanor to enter Doriath.
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Return of the Noldor’, ‘Of Beleriand and Its Realms’ and ‘Of The Noldor in Beleriand’ from The Silmarillion.
- The Rage of Ulmo – Ralph Damiani
- The Coast of Mithrim – Tuuliky
- Ossiriand – Jenny Dolfen
- Galadriel and Melian – yalanrei
- Morgoth denounces Glaurung for his actions. He then talks with Sauron about how to break the siege.
- The Green-Elves of Ossiriand scuffle with the men of Beor. Unable to understand each other, they prepare to attack. Finrod steps in and talks down the Green-Elves.
- Finrod leads the men across Beleriand. He speaks with Galadriel to allow them into Doriath to see Thingol. Thingol gives them permission to cross his lands.
- Aredhel bears Eol a son, Maeglin. She wishes to return with them to Gondolin, but he refuses.
- Eol leaves to visit the dwarves. When he returns he finds Aredhel gone with Maeglin. He follows their trail
- Finrod leads Beor and his followers to Estolad, where they settle. Beor leaves his men to visit the High King of the Noldor.
- Beor and Malach speak with Fingolfin.
- Finrod returns to Nargothrond. Beor wishes to remain in his service.
- Not long after returning to Nargothrond, Beor dies of old age.
- Eol finds Aredhel at the entrance to Gondolin and follows them.
- Eol reveals himself to Turgon. Turgon welcomes him as a kinsman.
- Eol wishes to leave, but Turgon tells him none who enter the Hidden City may leave. Eol is enraged by this, and he chooses death, for him and his son. He throws a poisoned dart at Maeglin, but it is caught by Aredhel. The poison pierces her skin and she is killed.
- Turgon casts Eol from the walls of Gondolin.
First Appearance – Maeglin
Deaths – Eol, Aredhel, Beor, Malach
Adapted from chapters ‘Of Maeglin’ and ‘Of the Coming of Men Into the West’ from The Silmarillion and ‘The Later Quenta Silmarillion’ from The War of the Jewels.
- The Awakening – Tumasch
- Felagund Among Beor’s Men – Ted Nasmith
- Eol is Led to the Walls – Ted Nasmith
This episodes marks a departure from the main plot to instead focus on the rest of Middle-Earth rather than the Noldor. The main focuses are Morgoth in Angband and Thingol in Doriath. I found it more effective to give Thingol and episode of his own rather than give him a couple of minutes of screen time every now and then.
Prologue – Doriath (Y.T. 1130)
Tells of how Melian the Maia came to Doriath. And the trance Elwe (Thingol) fell into when he saw her.
Angband (Y.T. 1497)
- Morgoth returns to his seat in Angband, received by Sauron.
- Sauron informs Morgoth of the Sindar Elves that dwell in Doriath.
- Morgoth orders Sauron to prepare the army for attack.
- Thingol meets with the dwarves of Belegost, forging an alliance. He returns home to Melian.
- Spies return to warn Thingol of orcs in the north.
- Doriath is suddenly assaulted by Morgoth in the First Battle.
- Thingol and his army go on the offensive. He and King Denethor of the Green Elves attack the orcs at Amon Ereb. Denethor is slain, but the elves are victorious. The retreating orcs are killed by dwarves.
- Returning to Menegroth, Thingol finds Galadriel and Celeborn.
- Feanor’s encampment in Mithrim ready for battle.
First Appearances – Thingol, Melian, Denethor
Deaths – Denethor
Adapted from chapters ‘Of Thingol and Melian’, ‘Of the Flight of the Noldor’ and ‘Of the Sindar’ from The Silmarillion, ‘The History of Galadriel and Celeborn’ from Unfinished Tales and ‘The Grey Annals’ from The War of the Jewels.
- King of Doriath – Elena Kukanova
- Nan Elmoth – Elwe and Melian – Elena Kukanova
- Angband – Unknown
- Beleg Departs Menegroth – Alan Lee