Season 2 covers the Long Peace and the breaking of the Siege of Angband, from the beginning of the First Age to Year 456. There are a few time skips of several hundred years. This season sees the Dagor Aglareb, construction of Gondolin and Nargothrond, the coming of Men and the Dagor Bragollach.
Prologue – Eregion
- Elrond and his sons meet with Maglor again. This time he is in Eregion, Celebrimbor’s old kingdom. Maglor is convinced to tell Elrond’s sons about how Beleriand was overtaken by Morgoth.
- Maedhros hangs from Thangorodrim. Morgoth and Sauron both taunt and torment him. He refuses to give up secrets about the Noldor.
- Both Maedhros and Sauron see Thorondor from afar.
- Fingolfin begins building his kingdom, Hithlum.
- Believing Maedhros dead, Maglor and the Sons of Feanor prepare to leave Mithrim and go east.
- Fingolfin gives Fingon a domain in the west, Dor-lomin.
- Turgon struggles to get over his wife’s death, becoming protective of Idril. He blames Feanor and his sons for Elenwe’s death.
- Thorondor arrives to inform Feanor’s sons of Maedhros’ imprisonment.
- Thingol welcomes Noldor ambassadors in his land, but refuses to give up land of Beleriand to them.
- Thingol’s daughter, Luthien, is curious about the Noldor. Thingol refuses to let her leave Doriath.
First Appearances – Luthien, Nimloth
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Return of the Noldor’ and ‘Of Beleriand and its Realms’ from The Silmarillion.
- Lake Mithrim – J.R.R. Tolkien
- Maedhros Upon Thangorodrim – Jenny Dolfen
- Prayer of Fingon – Tuuliky
- None of Feanor’s sons are prepared to rescue Maedhros from Thangorodrim. Out of love for his friend, Fingon volunteers to go instead.
- Thorondor flies Fingon to Angband, where they find Maedhros chained. Fingon has to climb the steep precipice to get to him. Unable to undo the chain, Fingon is forced to cut off Maedhros’ hand.
- Thorondor flies them back to Mithrim. Maedhros reunites with his brothers. In gratitude and repentance for the burning of the ships, Maedhros relinquishes claim as the heir of Finwe and appoints Fingolfin High King of the Noldor.
- Caranthir and Feanor’s sons disagree with what Maedhros has done.
- Finrod travels to Doriath, to speak with Thingol personally. There he sees his sister, Galadriel, again.
- Fingolfin calls all the elves to reunite in one cause.
- Finrod and Thingol speak at length. Thingol gives permission for the Noldor to occupy the northern lands. They travel to the Feast of Reuniting together.
Pools of Irvin
- The Feast of Reuniting is held. Ambassadors from all lands arrive
First Appearances – Ecthelion, Annael
Adapted from ‘Of the Return of the Noldor’ and ‘Of Beleriand and Its Realms’ from The Silmarillion and ‘The History of Galadriel and Celeborn’ from Unfinished Tales
- Maedhros’s Rescue from Thangorodrim – Ted Nasmith
- Rescue of Maedhros from Thangorodrim – Catherine Karina Chmiel
- Finrod and Galadriel – ?
- Feast of Reuniting – Murrauddin
Prologue – Eregion
Maglor tells of the Long Peace and the years of Elves and Men. A hundred years pass and both races have learned to live peacefully. He tells of the House of Haladin, saved by Haleth, who led her people in repelling an orc siege until Caranthir arrived with reinforcements. He also tells of the settlements in Ladros and Dor-lomin, and the giving of the Dragon Helm to Hador from Fingon, and the arrival of the Easterlings over the Blue Mountains.
- Morgoth looks upon his forces gathered in the depths of Angband. He tells Gothmog it is time.
- Finrod and Aegnor visit Andreth of the House of Beor. Finrod talks to her for a time, but she leaves to see Aegnor, whom she loves. Aegnor however, despite reciprocating her affections, refuses her advances.
- Finrod meets with Barahir, descendent of Beor about the Siege. He inspects Barahir’s soldiers and meets his son, Beren.
- Fingon and his forces patrol Ard-Galen near Angband. Suddenly, rivers of flame spew forth from Thangorodrim. Forced to retreat, Fingon rides to warn his father.
- Glaurung leads an army of balrogs and orcs over the plains. Angrod and Aegnor ride before them with Bregolas and his men, but they are slain with their forces.
- Fingon’s riders reach Fingolfin in Barad Eithel. Fingolfin sends out riders to call his armies to battle.
- Gil-Galad is sent by his mother to Cirdan in the Falas.
- Soon after, Barad Eithel is besieged.
- Barahir commands his men to take their people and retreat south. He takes his best men and rides East.
- Maglor’s horsemen are burned alive. Maglor retreats to Himring. Morgoth’s forces enter Beleriand.
Pass of Aglon
- The other sons of Feanor are defeated and driven back south of Doriath.
- Morgoth’s orcs control the north. They prepare further attacks and march on Minas Tirith.
First Appearances – Barahir, Beren, Bregolas, Belegund, Baragund, Hador, Gildor, Radhruin, Gorlim, Dairuin, Urthel, Gil-Galad, Emeldir, Haleth
Deaths – Aegnor, Angrod, Bregolas
Adapted from chapters ‘Of Beleriand and Its Realms’, ‘Of the Coming of Men Into the West’ and ‘The Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin’ from The Silmarillion and ‘The Grey Annals’ from The War of the Jewels.
- Angrod and Aegnor in Dagor Bragollach – lilithran
- The Dragon Helm of Dor-lomin – Alan Lee
- Glaurung, the Black Wyrm – vaejoun
This episodes marks a departure from the main plot to instead focus on the rest of Middle-Earth rather than the Noldor. The main focuses are Morgoth in Angband and Thingol in Doriath. I found it more effective to give Thingol and episode of his own rather than give him a couple of minutes of screen time every now and then.
Prologue – Doriath (Y.T. 1130)
Tells of how Melian the Maia came to Doriath. And the trance Elwe (Thingol) fell into when he saw her.
Angband (Y.T. 1497)
- Morgoth returns to his seat in Angband, received by Sauron.
- Sauron informs Morgoth of the Sindar Elves that dwell in Doriath.
- Morgoth orders Sauron to prepare the army for attack.
- Thingol meets with the dwarves of Belegost, forging an alliance. He returns home to Melian.
- Spies return to warn Thingol of orcs in the north.
- Doriath is suddenly assaulted by Morgoth in the First Battle.
- Thingol and his army go on the offensive. He and King Denethor of the Green Elves attack the orcs at Amon Ereb. Denethor is slain, but the elves are victorious. The retreating orcs are killed by dwarves.
- Returning to Menegroth, Thingol finds Galadriel and Celeborn.
- Feanor’s encampment in Mithrim ready for battle.
First Appearances – Thingol, Melian, Denethor
Deaths – Denethor
Adapted from chapters ‘Of Thingol and Melian’, ‘Of the Flight of the Noldor’ and ‘Of the Sindar’ from The Silmarillion, ‘The History of Galadriel and Celeborn’ from Unfinished Tales and ‘The Grey Annals’ from The War of the Jewels.
- King of Doriath – Elena Kukanova
- Nan Elmoth – Elwe and Melian – Elena Kukanova
- Angband – Unknown
- Beleg Departs Menegroth – Alan Lee
Prologue – Valinor (Y.T. 1400)
Manwe, unable to understand evil and with the advice of Nienna, releases Melkor to live in Valinor.
Angband (Y.T. 1497)
- Sauron informs Morgoth of the Noldor’s arrival. Morgoth makes quick plans to strike first.
- The Noldor meet the Grey-Elves in Mithrim, learning of the First Battle and of King Thingol
- Feanor makes plans with his sons to besiege Angband. Maedhros wants to wait for Fingolfin but Feanor refuses.
- The encampment is ambushed by Morgoth’s forces, led by Gothmog.
- Feanor fights back and disperses the orcs. He leads his forces north.
- They are attacked by orcs retreating from the south, but Feanor’s sons lead an assault and overwhelm them.
- Feanor and his sons destroy most of the orcs, but a small group escapes. Feanor pursues them in his wrath.
- Many more of Fingolfin’s host have died. Fingolfin leads them on, leaving the ice desert as the moon rises.
- Feanor leads the army to within sight of Angband. But as he reached Dor Daedeloth, a host of balrogs issued forth from Thangorodrim.
First Appearance – Drauglin
Adapted from ‘Of Feanor and the Unchaining of Melkor’, ‘Of the Sindar’ and ‘Of the Return of the Noldor’ from The Silmarillion.
- moon-and-stars – Tamera Smith
- The Captivity of Morgoth – Jacek Kopalski
- The Balrogs of Morgoth – Thylacinee
- The Coming of Fingolfin – Jenny Dolfen
The Battle-under-Stars and the Battle of Lammoth have been combined.
Prologue – Angband (Y.T. 1300-1400)
Sauron and the Balrogs create orcs, born from tortured elves. Melkor returns and Sauron welcomes him.
Lammoth (Y.T. 1497)
- Fingolfin’s army arrives as the sun first rises. They are attacked by the orcs of Morgoth as they arrive. Fingolfin’s son Argon cuts his way through the orcs and slays their leader. He is surrounded and killed.
- Fingolfin manages to drive off the rest of the orcs. They press on towards Thangorodrim.
- Feanor fights the balrogs head on. He manages to slay several.
- Eventually Feanor is alone on the battlefield. He is wounded several times by Gothmog but continues fighting.
- Feanor’s sons come down on the balrogs before Feanor is killed. They drive them off and carry Feanor from the battlefield.
- During the battle Maedhros is captured by Gothmog.
- Feanor looks upon Thangorodrim from afar and curses Angband thrice. As he dies his body burns to ashes.
- Fingolfin reaches Angband and forces the remaining army of Morgoth behind their gates. Despite their efforts they know they cannot destroy Angband with force.
- Maedhros is brought before Morgoth. Morgoth imprisons him on Thangorodrim. Hanging him by the wrist upon the mountain.
- Feanor’s sons meet Fingolfin’s host again on the shores of Mithrim
- Maglor recounts that they were still bound by the Oath of Feanor.
- Thingol permits Galadriel and Celeborn to stay, as they are both Teleri in nature.
- Thingol and Melian climb to the top of the forest. There Melian sets a great fog to conceal Doriath from Morgoth, called the Girdle of Melian.
- Elrond asks Maglor to come to Rivendell, but he refuses. Elrond watches as Maglor slowly wanders off down the coastline.
Deaths – Feanor, Argon
Adapted from chapters ‘Of the Coming of Elves and the Captivity of Melkor’, ‘Of the Sindar’, ‘Of the Sun and Moon’ and ‘Of the Return of the Noldor’ from The Silmarillion, ‘The History of Galadriel and Celeborn’ from Unfinished Tales and ‘The Shibboleth of Feanor’ from The Peoples of Middle-earth.
- Thangorodrim – ?
- Feanor vs Gothmog, Lord of the Balrogs – bobgreyvenstein
- Maedhros Capture by Orcs – Jenny Dolfen
- Maglor’s Fate by the Sea – Jenny Dolfren